1. Why do I write? I write because I enjoy it, the process of pen to paper is relaxing.
2. What books did you love growing up? I loved the old bedtime book, hardy boys and the classic story’s like Black Beauty, Gulliver’s travels and such
3. What book should everybody read at least once? Gulliver’s travels, it’s a great book about bravery, over coming and acceptance.
4. Location and life experiences can really influence writing, tell us where you grew up and where you live now? I grew up in the projects of Detroit Michigan; it was a tough life, back then. Today I live in a beautiful part of Southern California, its quiet, beautiful and most of all its home.
5. How did you develop your writing? I just write, it usually begins with some kind of experience or feeling.
6. Where do you get your inspiration from? I love to write about life’s experiences, I’ve journaled for as long as I can remember, I’ve written poetry for family and friends but I always thought about writing a novel.
7. What is the hardest – getting published, writing or marketing? For me it was the editing process, getting all those thoughts and words condensed into a story that flowed well and made sense.
8. What marketing works for you? I’ve just really started getting into the marketing end of things, but so far social media has been good, I’ve met a lot of interesting people online.
9. Do you find it hard to share your work? Yes! Its really hard, I’ve been lucky so far, no one has had a negative thing to say, praise has been really difficult to accept, maybe even more difficult than negativity.
10. Is your family supportive? Do your friends support you? Most of my family has been awesome, my oldest daughter of course, she was the inspiration and the one who told me than I could do this. Some people have been a bit negative, but they seem negative about a lot of things. All of my friends kept asking how it was going, I’m not sure if they actually thought this would come to fruition, but they asked and helped keep me focused and on task.
11. Do you plan to publish more books? Yes, I’m actually working on one now.
12. What else do you do to make money, other than write? It is rare today for writers to be fulltime… I am blessed to be married to a wonderfully successful man; I’m also at an age where my needs are few. The kids are all out of the house, doing their own thing, so I have time to pursue my own interest and desires. I have the flexibility to learn and try new things.
13. How do you write – lap top, pen, paper, in bed, at a desk? I do all of these, as well as on the patio or in my family room in the lounge chair, it just depends on the time of day, mood or weather. I have many options.
14. Is there anyone you’d like to acknowledge and thank for their support? There are a lot of people but mostly my husband; he gives me everything in order for me to follow my creative passions and of course my daughter Kristina. A long long time ago I had mentioned that someday I wanted to write a novel, she told me about a dream she had and I mentioned that it would make a good book and here I am….
15. Every writer has their own idea of what a successful career in writing is, what does success in writing look like to you? I think I have found my success; being published is a great accomplishment. I write because I enjoy it, I know that I was lucky to get published, but to hear that others are enjoying my work, now… that’s success.
Visit Theresa’s Website here for more info!